Pick Your Chip: Portable Open Claude, Shattered Egos, and Gifts from the Circle of Fire

There is a funny dynamic that happens when you work in AI and SecOps, people who only read the tech headlines often try to bring you the "news."



​Recently, a nice friend of mine, Madhupriya (Names changed for anonymity) excitedly tried to drop some insider knowledge on me about the Anthropic "Claude Code" leak. For those who missed it, Anthropic accidentally shipped the source map for their terminal-based AI coding assistant at some point in the near past. It was the global tech gossip for the last couple of weeks.

​She gave me a grand lecture on how this leak was "world-changing" and asked if I, the resident techie, have it in me help set it up on her shiny new Ubuntu PC.

​Here is a rule of thumb: just because I’m silent doesn't mean I’m dumb, and, just because I don't regurgitate the morning's tech news wherever I appear at doesn't even closely mean I missed the drop.

I have learnt somewhere that unsheathing your blade to draw blood from every single street dog that barks, effectively leaves your tools clunky and your mind funky.

You have to wait for the right moment, estimate capabilities & resource costs, and then, engage in your battles wisely to collect favourable outcomes.

​The Catalyst: Intent Over Tools

​When someone tries to box you in as their personal IT support, or a "Partner" (Crude translation: A strap-on device, in Adhik's context), a very specific button gets pushed that shouts "Challenge Accepted, mother fire!".

​My goal wasn't just to set it up for her later; it was to prove a core philosophy: Tools are never a concern if your intent is crystal clear. It’s the classic "Destiny" and the "Path" analogy. The execution of the logic is the destiny; the hardware could just be helping you choose how to get there.

​The Execution: The Commute Deployment

​The deployment didn't happen at a multi-monitor desk with caffeine and arduous focus. It started, somewhere between starting a drink at her place, finishing it off with a cigarette (I hope it was just that) getting up and riding our bikes to meet the rest of the group at a close by hotel for dinner.

  • The Hardware: A battle-scarred Redmi Note 9 Pro running a Snapdragon 720G.
  • The Environment: Termux (unrooted), acting as a (debatably lightweight) Linux environment right in my pocket. A (at the least) spotty mobile network to connect you and compile a code copy from the right repository.
  • The Grind: During the gap between finishing a glass of cell-killers, I registered the APIs while I pulled the leaked repository, and sweated the npm dependencies on a 6.6-inch screen until the logic compiled.

​Pick Your Chip

​By the time we hit the hotel to meet up with the rest of the circle, including a couple of guys who regularly tried (and failed) to establish some sort of alpha dominance in the group; the coppery ASCII art of the claude terminal was looking at me waiting for my input.

​I pulled out the Redmi, set it on the table, and showed them the fully operational Open Claude splash screen. Running locally.

​Here is the reality check for anyone addicted to high-end specs: whether it is an H100 Tensor Core handling millions of requests a second or the SoC in a dated mobile device, the fundamental logic gates are doing the exact same math. The only difference is scale and capacity.


 

 Above image ref: Network Chuck Claude Mobile is Official

Like I mentioned, A chip is a chip. Even a scrawny pocket calculator can potentially get you running AI, provided you tip it well and behave nice to it.

​The Fallout & The Gifts from the Circle of Fire

​The cognitive dissonance that the table was steaming with, was priceless. Egos evidently shattered. The guys got agitated (for reasons unknown to them), only realizing their performative social posturing had just been nuked from orbit by a pocket-sized CLI.

​Shortly after this incident, that entire friend group evacuated without eating. I was the 'bad guy' who stood up first and walked off, even though I hadn't had a nano morsel of an edible calorie all day. There were "other" reasons like a display of the aggressive jealousy from one of the guys "Sharan" in the now defunct group. 

​In this game, battles won often equal people lost. You have to make sure the people around you aren't actually just disguised competitors before they deservedly taste your Excalibur. If they can handle the reality check and live to tell the tale, they’re worthy of the circle of fire. If not? They bleed out, and eventually, the fire burns them away.

That dissolution wasn't a loss; it was the ultimate gift from the circle of fire. The noise silenced itself, leaving a perfectly clean slate for the actual architecture.

​But here is the promise: the Redmi was just a proof of concept. It exists in my hand because of the dedicated "Ubuntu Touch" promise I made to it, which I intend to keep.

​Now that the runway is clear, it’s time to forge the real weapon. I’m currently procuring a bare-metal, unlocked Pixel to architect into a dedicated Kali NetHunter and local AI pocket lab. Because if a 4-year-old Snapdragon can run agentic AI, shatter fragile egos, and casually filter out a toxic social hierarchy in a single evening... Just imagine what happens when I actually bring out the heavy artillery in stealth. I'm not saying I did it first, but in a circle of triggers and dominance is alpha mindset, the knowers and doers are always hated. A sad, extinguishing dynamic that's had its time overdue.

​I've started working on my next explosive adventure. ​The path is clear, the intent is locked, and the next deployment won't just be a flex. It’ll be a takeover, right after the three way.


My status update: Overclocking standalone in TBs, is always better than stammering group dynamic stabilization in KBs. So I'm all good here of course, as always.


Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Humanware Update: How AI is Bridging the Gap Between Soft and Hard Skills

​The Circle of Fire demystified: Burning the Mobile GUI for Agentic AI (Walkthrough)

Reminiscing "The adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain